As the global population continues to age, our idea of what it means to age has to change with them. Advances in the medical field, improvements in nutrition, increases in education rates have all contributed to a better quality of life - but that doesn't always mean seniors have the ability to lead a life of quality.
But that's where you come in! Even if you don't have elderly relatives, there are so many seniors in your community that could benefit from your company! Plus, May is Older Americans Month, so there's no better time to show seniors you care.
If you're not sure where to get started, we have a list of 22 quick and easy activities and projects that you can do to brighten a senior's day! With ideas starting at 5 minutes or less, it doesn't take a lot of time to show a senior citizen compassion!
While the direct benefit of your time will benefit a senior - you'll also get something in return. Older generations have so many stories and experiences to share, which means you could learn something new about your favorite era, or even make a new older friend!
Still not sure how to make a senior's day? Here are a few resources to get you started:
- Use our project of the month to plan a meal with your elderly neighbors
- Learn more about senior citizens, their needs and ways you can serve them!
- Celebrate Join Hands Day and plan a multi-generational service project!
- Collect puzzles for your local nursing home to help Alzheimer's patients exercise their brains!
- Interview a senior about their experiences to learn more about past events!